Minutes of the OGPToolbox.org Association Launch Meeting
Compte-rendu de la réunion de lancement de l’association OGPToolbox.org
Agenda of the meeting
Brief history of the project
Co-construction process in 2016
Overview of the OGP Summit
Presentation of the OGPToolbox.org Platform
Vision and organisation
Presentation of the OGPToolbox.org Association
Project's handover to the civil society
Mission of the association
Functioning of the association
Next events and open workshops
- Open discussion
The meeting took place on Monday, February 13 at 7pm (GMT+1) at the Charles Léopold Mayer Foundation for the Progress of Humankind (FPH) in Paris. Remote participation was possible using Appear.in.
Amélie Banzet, Etalab
Michel Blancard, Ouvre-boîte
Greg Brown, National Democratic Institute, Open parliament OGP Working group
Alain Buchotte, Open Source Politics
Valentin Chaput, Open Source Politics
Angelo Chiacchio, No Design
Caroline Corbal, DemocracyOS France
Cyril Desmidt, InfoGnuEureka
Paula Forteza, OGPToolbox.org
Etienne Gonnu, April
Josephine Goube, Techfugees
Munyema Hasan, OGP Support unit
Miska Knapek, developer of the OGP Explorer
Cécile Le Guen, Open Knowledge Foundation
Milo van der Linden, Code for Europe
Constance de Quatrebarbes, Entrepreneur d'intérêt général
Christian Quest, Etalab, OpenStreetMap France
Emmanuel Raviart, OGPToolbox.org
Paul Richardet, Le Square
Johan Richer, OGPToolbox.org
Thomas Roca, Agence française de développement
Pierre-Louis Rolle, Agence du numérique
Pierre Slamich, OpenFoodFacts
Romain Tales, Etalab
Context of the project
The OGP Toolbox project will be handed over from Etalab to the civil society. This is not just a French project, it's an international project involving many actors, from the enlarged open government and civic tech community. The best way to gather people from many different fields, backgrounds and types of organizations is to have a neutral position at the interface of all these worlds. That's why we're launching a new association, meant to create a bridge between all actors with an interest in the OGP Toolbox, a place to discuss and decide on all matters related to the project. The creation of an association allows for more sustainability, more independence and the mobilization of new actors at the international level.
Statutes of the association.
The mission (object) of the association is layed out in the statutes (Art. 2).
- The association will be lead by the Administration council (Conseil d'administration, CA) and advised by the Orientation council (Conseil d'orientation, CO).
- The Administration council's membership requires to have been involved in the project for a period of at least 6 months (Statutes, Art. 6).
- The Orientation council is selected by the Administration council, its function is to make proposals to guide the project after debating and reaching a majority of votes among its members. Both organizations and individuals, members of the association or not, can be selected to the Orientation council (Statutes, Art. 7).
- The composition of the Orientation council will be announced in the coming weeks.
2017 Roadmap first draft (translation forthcoming)
The Orientation council will discuss these matters going forward.
Discussion & suggestions
- Develop the storytelling around tools: videos (T. Roca, A. Chiacchio)
- Openness as a minimum requirement to be referenced (E. Gonnu) --> We want to attract proprietary software users and show them open alternatives, let them compare by themselves as a pedagogical approach (P.Forteza)
- Increase the alignement between recommended tools and the OGP National Action Plan cycle: co-creation, implementation and monitoring (M.Hasan) --> Cécile Le Guen to publish a collection
- The OGP Legislative Group to lead on an Open Parliament collection (G. Brown)
- To work on projects to mix digital strategy and development strategy around the OGP Toolbox (T. Roca)
- Extend to open hardware (T. Roca)
- To strengthen the bridge between administrations, the OGP community and the OGP Toolbox association (A. Banzet)
- Why a stand alone association? (P. Slamich) --> more sustainability in the long run, more independence from the french administration, be able to reach out and engage new actors at the international level (P. Forteza)
- Engage researchers and help them use open source tools (C. de Quatrebarbes)
- Use the OGP Toolbox to mobilize youth (A. Buchotte)
- Code for Europe will use the OGP Toolbox to list its projects: need to embed in our website (M. van der Linden) --> Widgets coming (E. Raviart)